Sunday, October 11, 2015

A big ole pot of Chili....recipe

 A couple of days ago I decided to make a big pot of chili.  It is getting that time of year but actually we could eat it all year long.  I raided the pantry and freezer...this is what I started with...
 Chili Recipe
2 lbs of lean ground beef ( I used 96/4).  ($7.18 marked down)
2 large cans of tomato juice (.99 each from the pantry)
2 cans of diced tomatoes (.49 each from the pantry)
3 cans of dark chili beans (.49 each from the pantry)
3 cans of light chili beans (.49 each from the pantry)
1 green bell pepper, chopped (from the freezer out of our garden)
1 jalapeno, chopped (from the freezer out of our garden)
1 large onion (out of the garden)
chili powder, to taste
minced garlic, to taste
red pepper seeds, to taste

Brown, drain and rinse ground beef.  Drain the cans of beans and rinse.  Add all of the ingredients and cook until done.
This made a big pot of chili so I decided to can part of it.  I ended up canning 8 pints of chili.  I could have done more but I didn't feel like digging out more jars.  This also freezes really well if you don't want to can it.
I had more left in the pot, which was hard to get a good photo because of the steam.  With the remaining chili in the pot we had it for supper and also supper the next day. 
 A good filling, hearty meal that "sticks to your ribs"  :) I absolutely love chili!!!!!  Occasionally I will even eat it for breakfast.  :)

YUM!!!!!

PLEASE SHARE!!!

 

1 comment:

  1. I love chili too. I add a few tablespoons of brown sugar to my chili. Everyone that tries the brown sugar likes the flavor it adds. If I have part of jar of spaghetti sauce in the fridge I throw that in too. I like my chili THICK! Sometimes I even add butter beans to the pot. Now you are making me hungry for chili. A friend just added a goulach recipe on fb. I love anything with pasta and tomatoes!!!

    ReplyDelete